I can’t speak fluently?
Wait a minute. Let me rephrase this sentence and then you tell me.
I can speak slowly.
Is it also correct? I am sure, yes. And now just look back in your life. Do you see any improvement in your English from last some years? Yes, I am sure yes is the answer. It doesn’t matter even if the improvement is at the rate of 1% per year. It is there that’s important.
So can I rephrase the sentence now again as:
I can speak English slowly and I am improving.
Or I can speak English slowly and I am working hard to improve.
How does it differ?
Lets say you have a white santro in your mind. May be you are planning to buy it or your cousin called you last night and intimated you that he has bought a new white santro. So now what you have in your mind. A WHITE SANTRO. What will you see around you and what will you find around you now is white santro.
If you have pink in your mind, which color will you find everywhere?
I am sure pink.
Similarly if today you say I CANT SPEAK FLUENLTY.
What will you see around you? Your failures in conversations.
If you have a phrase that I can speak and I am improving.
Your mind will notice your efforts and improvements and will appreciate to do better.
So now always say I am good and I am improving.
Make a shift:
I CANT SING
I CAN SING BAD
I CANT SWIM
I CAN LEARN TO SWIM
I CANT COOK
I CAN COOK BAD AND CAN IMPROVE
I lack in fluency?
What is fluency? Is it speaking non stop or speak without a pause.
Speaking non stop is not fluency. Understanding completely is also fluency. Speaking when it is required is also fluency.
I know how to drive car and I drive it very nice in my city. When I have to drive it in new city may be a hill or any other area. I drive a little slow. After driving there for some regular trips I feel very comfortable.
So am I not a good driver? Am not I fluent in driving? Or is it the new place, new roads, new turns or may be unknown places that’s making me go slow.
So isn’t it the new topic, new people, new environment, new words and even a brand new company that makes us a little less comfortable to talk. So is it crime for me to take time to adjust in a new situation.
One silly question!
I want to learn how to swim? What should I do?
The answer would be : SWIM
Yes, you want to learn how to speak English?
What should the answer be SPEAK. That’s all. Speak as much as you can. Do mistakes, have fall outs, you are free as you are just a learner.
Write English. When you write you actually speak. Can you write with out speaking? No, you cant.
I don’t get the right word at the right time.
Wait you don’t get the right word at the right time or you get it late.
The answer will be I get it late.
Why do you get it late?
Lets check it.
I now ask you to think of five people you know in 5 seconds.
Good, now think of 5 more persons whom you know but you don’t interact with them very rare.
I am sure you can.
Did you see what happen?
You were able to remember people whom you interact daily. Why did you recall them only.
Because of their current role in your life.
Similarly every time you speak you can recall easily recall the word that is used often. But you take time to recall the word that is either not used or used very rarely.
Do you forget things? Or you recall them late.
I am sure you recall them late.
So now if you wish to bring more words in your life then you must speak them.
And if you are not able to recall a word that you haven’t heard before then its no crime.
How can I know your name when I haven’t met you before?
So get the right word at right time we must listen to words and bring them in use as much as possible.
I hesitate!
Do you hesitate to speak?
Or you hesitate wondering what will others think about me?
Hesitation is a very natural phenomenon. We all have it in us. Remember your first day in school. Remember your first date or even first interaction with a client.
It is in us always. How do you pick call from an unknown number?
Do you open up in the first hello itself? Not really.
Now ask yourself is it the hesitation or you have fear of getting ridiculed?
“What will others think about me“ syndrome.
What others think about you its their problem as long as you are not doing anything that’s obscene in society or doing it purposely to degrade someone.
This fear is not only for English but for n number of reasons. Even if you have to dance in a party or even if you asked to sing.
Still I hesitate when I speak in front of someone who is better than me.
Okay, now lets imagine a situation when you are in a company of people who are better than you and have much more credentials to their kitty than you have.
How do you feel in their company?
Inferior, am I right?
So that means they are superior than you.
Yes they are. Do they know it that they are superior than you, I mean do they also assume the same or is it your assumption.
Okay they are superior. Now what happens when you speak?
What will they think about me when I speak wrong?
How will they react if I speak wrong or silly?
You tell me how will they react?
They will laugh on you, make fun of you, crack jokes on you, and do everything that proves that they are better than you.
Wow, so the only thing is need is to prove that they are better than you.
Good. Now lets take a small story.
David wanted to learn how to play piano. He had a classmate named john. John was a wonderful piano player. David always wanted to be like john. He used to secretly admire him and wanted to play just like him. He never expressed his desire to john but john could easily sense it. John realized that David wants to be like him. He often discussed piano sessions with David. David now became confident to tell john that he wants to be like him.
He expressed john that he admires him. But he didn’t have courage to play piano in front of him as he assumed that john would laugh at him or think what a poor player he is.
John encouraged him to play and started supporting him. He in fact corrects David’s mistakes and appreciated his efforts.
Now David is one of the finest player of piano in the class and surprisingly he owes his success to John. Whereas john now feels more confident as he has mastered the skills with David’s success.
Lets take the story with another view.
David wanted to learn how to play piano. He had a classmate named john. John was a wonderful piano player. David was very jealous of john and used to secretly back bite his performance and always wanted to be better than john. His aim was not to excel in the area of piano but rather defeat john.
He could never express this to john but john could sense it. John also felt disheartened seeing this.
He also started ignoring David. Now David feels insecure to play in front of john assuming that john will make fun of him or react awfully on his performance.
Situation got worst now no one is happy.
Do you realize what happens when jealousy comes in?
Similarly you come across some one really better than you. Admire him. Learn from him rather than running away. Because if you run away from him/her you are actually running away from learning too.
If you like something in someone, tell him/her. Tell them how good you feel about it and you will also like to do the same in future. May be the same color car or a house like that even vocabulary like that. Everything in life is inspired from something or the other.
If you need what they have then be like them, not opposite of them. Be in alignment of what you want to receive. Jealousy keeps you away from it. So better admire.
What if they show off purposely and are arrogant?
That’s a very good point. Showing off purposely means they are actually working visibly hard to prove that they are better than you. It makes your job easier and now you know that this person is seeking attention. You want to learn and he needs attention. So go ahead give him what he needs and take what you want from him.
You can admire them and have teachers all around you. Teachers to support you, encourage you and appreciate you. It’s like free patronizing. Cool, isn’t it.
How can I polish my vocabulary?
MY VOCABULARY
That’s the actual point.
Ok just read this word and tell me what image do you see in your mind.
DOG
Did you see something. Now ask your friend to read and imagine. Do you both see the same dog. Is the image identical. Not really
This was just to prove that how different your minds are.
When your MIND is different so your THOUGHTS.
Different THOUGHTS means different FEELINGS
Different FEELINGS means different WORDS to express those feelings.
Then isn’t injustice to teach common vocabulary notes to a bunch if so discreet students.
You have your own vocabulary and you just need to activate this.
How many persons do you know by face, their numbers, and histories, past and so on. I am sure hundreds then why can’t you remember some 500 words to speak fluently.
You can. You easily can its just that you need to realize your potential.
I want the toughest vocabulary.
Why do you want that? Do you want that people should not be able to understand you?
Then don’t speak anything or simply become a mystery. We speak to express ourselves and what is the use of speaking when no one can understand us.
Job of language is bind people together not to provide a pseudo status.
Aristotle said: when a sender sends a message it is his responsibility to design it in such a way that the receiver can easily understand it.
If receiver fails to understand then sender surely is responsible for that.
So would you like to be a failure? Certainly not. Most read novels are often written in the simplest language patterns with easy to understand vocabulary.
So have simple yet clear vocabulary that should be your priority.
Speak to please and express. What you speak represents you so be cautious.
Prince gera
pardon the spelling errors
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
understood.............................again i m able to activate ur golden words.in my mind..through this Blog.....i know less hw to thank u....but thank u...........if we r running from something we r running from our learning....
ReplyDelete